Clear · 75°
The Grain Valley and Oak Grove Police Departments developed a joint Victim Services Unit to assist crime victims with direct service intervention and long-term recovery.

Crime Victim Rights

  1. To be present at all criminal proceedings where the defendant has that right.
  2. To confer with the prosecutor regarding bail hearings, guilty pleas, pleadings or insanity, hearings, sentencing, and probation revocation hearings.
  3. To be present at any hearing in which the defendant is present before a probation and parole hearing officer and to full participation in all phases of parole hearings or probation revocation hearings.
  4. To be heard at juvenile probation revocation hearings, probation revocation and parole hearings initiated by the board of probation and parole, and release proceedings for persons found not guilty by reason of insanity. Victims also may offer a written statement, video, or audiotape in lieu of a personal appearance.
  5. To protection from harmful threats from a defendant for activities arising out of cooperation with law enforcement officials, and the right to a secure waiting area during a court proceeding.
  6. To speedy disposition of cases and speedy appellate review.
  7. To fair employment rights (including the right of a victim, witness, or member of a victim’s family not to be discharged or disciplined by an employer for honoring a subpoena or for participation in the preparation of a criminal proceeding).
  8. To regain property from a prosecutor or law enforcement officer once it is no longer needed for evidence or retention during an appeal unless it is contraband or subject to forfeiture proceedings.
  9. To creditor intercession services by the prosecuting attorney if the victim is unable, as a result of the crime, to temporarily meet financial obligations.
  10. To limited compensation for out-of-pocket loss and for qualified medical care necessary as a result of the crime.

Order of Protection

You Have the Right to be Safe

The Missouri Adult Abuse Act allows a victim of abuse to petition the court for the following types of relief through an Order of Protection. However, these orders are not always granted by the court.

You can file for an Order of Protection against the person who is abusing, stalking, or threatening you at the Protection Order Unit on the 2nd floor of the Jackson County Courthouse located at:

308 W Kansas
Independence, MO 64050
(816) 881-4555

Filing for an Order of Protection

  • You need an accurate residence or employer address for your abuser.
  • You need to bring a picture of your abuser (if at all possible).
  • You need a description of your abuser’s car.
  • You do not need an attorney.
  • You do not have to pay a filing fee.

An order of protection may contain the following provisions:

  • Orders telling your abuser, stalker, etc. not to abuse, threaten, or otherwise harass you
  • Orders telling your abuser to move out of your home
  • Orders awarding child custody
  • Orders awarding child support (full orders only)
  • Orders telling your abuser not to sell or give away your property, or telling you abuser to return certain items of property to you
  • Orders telling your abuser to contribute to your support (if married)

You are not alone. Contact an advocate of the Victim Services Unit at the Grain Valley or Oak Grove Police Departments at (816) 847-6250 for help or additional information.

Cybercrime Support Network

If you are or someone you know have been a victim of cybercrime, the Cybercrime Support Network's Fraud Support can help you find resources and assistance.

Fraud Support

Useful Links & Forms


Victim Services need you. Currently, there are only two staff advocates in the division, serving both Grain Valley and Oak Grove. Volunteer and help out your community by assisting with victim advocacy duties. Please contact the administration at (816) 847-6250 for more information and to inquire about applying.

Map · Grain Valley Police

719 R.D. Mize Road · Grain Valley, MO 64029