Frequently Asked Questions
Resources & ServicesCity Code of Ordinances Forms Peddler/No-Call List Peddler/No-Call Request FAQ Department Home
Who needs an occupational license?
Per Section 605.030 of the Grain Valley Municipal Code, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a business within the city without first having obtained a valid occupational license or permit. It shall be unlawful for a person to continue to operate a business after the expiration of the license unless a new license has been issued.
How can I apply for an occupational license?
The Occupational License Application can be completed online. Click here to apply now. Once the license has been approved, a payment link will be sent to the email address on file with that license.
How can I pay for my occupational license?
Currently, we can accept payment by check, cash or online via credit card. If paying by card, a payment link will be provided once the occupational license application has been approved.
How long are the occupational licenses valid?
Occupational Licenses are valid from July 1 to June 30 of the following year. All renewals are due by July 1 of each year. Late payments are subject to penalties, per section 605.090 of the Grain Valley Municipal Code.
What do I need to include/upload with my application?
This depends on the business type and the following covers the most common licenses:
All Contractors and Sub-Contractors:
- Certificate of Insurance showing General Liability and Workers’ Compensation Insurance with the City of Grain Valley listed as a certificate holder
- If a Master Trade and no Workers’ Compensation Policy, an Affidavit of Exemption for Workers’ Compensation Insurance is required pursuant to §287.061, RSMo
- Electricians, Plumbers and HVAC/Mechanical Contractors: please provide/upload proof of certification
All other business types:
- If 5 or more employees, please include evidence of Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- If sales tax is charged, please include a current no tax due letter from the Department of Revenue
How do I apply for a new liquor license?
What is the time frame for approval of a new liquor license?
For temporary/catering liquor licenses, please allow for up to 15 days for processing. For all other license classes, please allow 6-12 weeks minimum. Please see the Liquor License Application Guide for more detailed information on the process. All City Liquor Licenses expire on June 30th of each year and must be renewed annually. Annual renewals must be received by May 31st of each year to avoid penalty and possible lapse in license.
Map · Grain Valley City Clerk
711 Main Street · Grain Valley, MO 64029